Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My Learning Guide to Net11 Module 1

Task A

For the first task we had to use the alternative way to obtain records via using Telnet via logging into Deakin University library and doing a search on the library computer.

Searching on my computer too see if I had telnet enabled was my first goal, as I am using Windows Vista Premium Version.

I followed the instructions on the website that stated Vista users may want to read this for more information http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/81b6d4b7-905e-4d70-8379-7934913fedb01033.mspx#EIC

Following these directions I then proceeded to enable the Telnet Function via using the recommended way off the microsoft website.

I clicked the Start button , clicked Control Panel, clicked Programs, and then clicked Turn Windows features on. I was not asked for administrator password as I have my system set up differently than most others.




Then clicked OK. The installation was rather quick.

I then clicked on Start ------> Accessories ------> Command Prompt--- Telnet



Logged into the system and this was the first screen I received.



Then asked to choose what kind of terminal I was on, being a previous user of Telnet application I picked VT100, I was then asked to confirm my choice.

After this screen disappeared the referencing screen showed up and I begain to select Search by Author which was selection A.



Then proceeded to the next screen that showed Search by Authors name I typed in Bennahum.



I then received the following results of the search.



I then proceeded to choose the P option for Print these titles, it then gave you 3 options I choosed option 2) Email Printer and entered in my email address.



And the following results of the search were received, Taks A Completed.



Task B :- Involved logging remotely into a telnet site and the outcome was totally unexpected and amazing, I logged into towel.blinkenlights.nl for a bit of fun!



I was totally amazed that someone had spent so much time and also effort at putting such a great show forward in such a manner via a older method of online application, the person who wrote this really deserves a prize, without going into great detail, after logging in you were treated to some messages about the creation of the picture then it moved onto Star Wars via Ascii pictures, a very old way that is so similar to local bulletin board services used to be run when you would log into them.

In Summary :-

Telnet is a prime example of a excellent data application that would allow you to perform remote tasks on a distant machine or web server via giving you access via a username or password.

Telnet also has a creativity level that is not often seen on the Internet of today by allowing people to create such epic show as "Star Wars" via ascii creations.

We have come past ascii creations and moved on into the realm of digital creations on the Web, kinda reminds me of what is happening with our televisions going from a early stage of (BW) Black and White and now into (HD) High Definition.

But the fact remains that some older applications may become redundant to some users, but not all users of the Internet.

Task Completed.

2 comments:

zeak.smith said...

wow great start to your blog, It will make sure we all have a high standard

Macka said...

You set the standard mate!!